Looking to improve your French or English language skills? Your first step is completing a language assessment.
Language Assessment Services provides free English/French language assessments and class referrals to eligible immigrants seeking language training in York, Simcoe and Durham.
Language assessments are conducted by certified language assessors using the following standardized tools:
- Canadian Language Benchmarks Assessment (CLBA)
- Canadian Language Benchmarks Assessment for Literacy Learners (CLBA-LL)
- Canadian Language Benchmarks Placement Test (CLBPT)
- Enhanced Language Training Placement Assessment (ELTPA)
- Literacy Placement Tool (LPT)
- Batterie de tests de classement (BTC-NCLC)
Our Language assessments are provided by appointment at our company locations, online and at additional itinerant sites. Call or visit a centre Monday to Friday, between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm. To book an assessment call: 1-855-330-8655 or email email@example.com.
Certified assessors conduct the assessments by appointment only. The assessment process can take three hours or more.
Referral and training options
Upon assessment completion, clients are provided with a range of training options available in their local communities and are referred to their choice of language training classes.
Language training programs
Programs federally funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) include:
- Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)
- Enhanced Language Training (ELT)
- Occupation Specific Language Training (OSLT)
- LINC Home Study (LHS)
- Cours de langue pour immigrants au Canada (CLIC)
- CLIC en ligne
- Adapted LINC
- CLIC adapté
Programs funded by the Ontario Citizenship and Immigration Division of the Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development include:
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- French as a Second Language (FSL)
- Bridge to Work (BTW)
- Specialized Language Training (SLT)
Welcome Centre Immigrant Services
Clients who wish to learn English at one of the seven Welcome Centre Immigrant Services locations can visit welcomecentre.ca for more information or call 1-877-761-1155 to book an appointment. Other community locations offering classes are located throughout York Region, Simcoe County and Durham Region.
Collection of personal information
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) helps immigrants, including refugees, settle in Canada. To do this, IRCC funds organizations across the country to provide newcomers with services such as language training. To make sure newcomers get the right services, IRCC requires that the Language Assessment Centre collect personal information from you under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and all information collected is protected under the federal government’s Privacy Act. For more information, click here.
- Generally available at no cost to eligible newcomers to Canada
- Must be verified when scheduling an appointment
- 18 years of age or older
- Under 18 years of age with proof of high school completion from country of origin
- Canadian Citizen (born outside Canada who doesn’t speak English as a first language)
- Permanent Resident
- Convention Refugee/Protected Person
- Application for Permanent Resident status is being processed in Canada and has been informed by a letter from the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada of the initial approval of their application subject to an admissibility assessment
- Refugee Claimant
- Temporary Worker or Student who has obtained initial approval for a concurrent Application for Permanent Residence
- Foreign Domestic Worker admitted under the Live-In Caregiver program
- Foreign Domestic Worker admitted under the Home Child Care and Home Support Worker pilots
- Provincial Nominee (or Dependant) approved through Opportunities Ontario
- Temporary Foreign Worker (or Dependant) approved through Canadian Experience Class
Directory of Language Training Programs in York-Simcoe-Durham
Program Flyer – York Simcoe:
Program Flyer – Durham:
Login Area: York-Simcoe Language Training PartnershipLearn More
Login Area: Durham Language Community Partnership CommitteeLearn More
Client Contact FormOpen Form
Client Feedback FormOpen Form