Is there an age limit to accessing employment services at Achēv?

Achēv’s employment services are available to all individuals that are of legal age to work in Canada. Some employment programs are tailored to specific age ranges (15 to 18 years old and 18 to 30 years old), however most of our programming is available to community members of all ages.

How do I find out if I qualify for Second Career?

You can contact or visit any one of our six employment service locations to see if the Second Career program is a good fit for you and if you are eligible and suitable. For more information on the program, you can also register for a Second Career information session near you.

What is Second Career?

Second Career is a training fund that provides laid-off, unemployed individuals with financial support and skills training to help them find employment in high-demand occupations in Ontario. The goal of this program is to help individuals find suitable training opportunities and get started in a new field of work.

Do I have to be a Canadian citizen to access Achēv's employment services and programs?

No, you do not have to be a Canadian citizen, but you have to be eligible to work in Canada.

Do I have to pay a fee to use Achēv's employment programs or services?

No, as a not-for-profit, community-based organization, we offer employment programs and services free of charge.

How do I get started?

You can register online, call or visit the Achēv’s Employment Service Centre location nearest you and meet with a Career Specialist. They will assess your job search needs and advise on which services, programs and workshops are available to you. See locations on our Contact Us page for full contact details.

How do I find out if our business qualifies for hiring incentives?

Eligibility for hiring incentives is largely dependent on the identified candidate and his/her training needs. To find out more about eligibility for these and other employer services, please contact the Achēv’s Employment Service Centre nearest your business location.

Where are Achēv Employment Service Centres located?

Achēv has six physical Employment Service Centre locations to serve you. Click here to find the location nearest you. Online and remote options are also available.

What are Employment Services' hours of operation?

Achēv Employment Services are open to the public from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm daily with the exception of statutory holidays. Please contact us if you require assistance outside of these hours.

I am a former TCET client, how can I re-join?

We would be pleased to assist you!  Please contact the program/service area to submit your request.

How do I know which program is best for me?

Program information can be found on our website. Make sure to check out the eligibility criteria to ensure you are a match. If you are still unsure, contact us and we can help find the program that best suits your needs.

I didn't finish high school. Can you still help me?

Yes! Whether you haven’t finished high school, or you’re a student in college or university, we have a variety of program options to help you achieve your goals.

Where are your programs located?

Our programs are located across the GTA, with some programs offered in more than one location. Contact the program you are interested in to see where it’s available and for directions.

How old do I have to be to participate in the programs?

Age requirements vary by program, however, most of our youth programs assist youth between the ages of 15 and 30. Check specific program details to learn more about eligibility requirements.

Does the teacher come to my home for LINC Home Study?

No, LINC Home Study teachers contact their students at home by phone or VOIP. Classes are 30 minutes once per week and provide one-on-one instruction.

How do I register in English or French classes?

Contact us at lac@achev.ca for referral to an English or French class that meets your needs.

What qualifications do I need to become a language assessor?

You need TESL certification/accreditation plus teaching experience. For more details on candidates’ requirements, visit our Assessors and Teachers section.

How can I practice for the assessment or understand my language skills?

You can practice and get informal results by using our Online Self Assessment tool in English or French at www.clb-osa.ca.

What professional development opportunities do you provide to assessors or instructors?

We provide assessor training in nationally-recognized CLB-based assessment tools and performance-based webinars for English language teachers. Visit our Assessors and Teachers section.

How long does the language assessment take?

The assessment can take between two to four hours depending on your level of language skill and the assessment tool used.

Is there a fee to do a language assessment?

No. Language assessments are free for permanent residents, convention refugees, refugee claimants and naturalized Canadian citizens.

Can I learn from home?

During your language assessment, ask if you are eligible for a home study program. Our team will be happy to help you learn from your own home.

How do I book a language assessment?

Call us at (905) 949-0049, ext 1369. Or email us at lac@achev.ca. We will explain the details and book your appointment at a location and date that works best for you.

Do you provide Notary Public Services?

Achēv’s Newcomer Information Centres provide free Commissioner of Oaths services available by appointment at all of our centres and itinerant locations. Officers are able to take affidavits and statutory declarations, attest/certify true copies and administer oaths. An appointment is required for this service.

Can I receive services in my language at Achēv Newcomer Information Centres?

Our multilingual staff can speak over 22 languages combined. For language availability, please contact us.

Who is eligible to use Achēv's Newcomer Information Centres' services?

Achēv’s Newcomer Information Centres are funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to provide services to permanent residents, convention refugees and prospective immigrants. Refugee claimants can receive basic information and are provided with referrals based on their eligibility. For more information, please contact us.

Are Achēv's Newcomer Information Centres' services free?

All of our services are FREE of cost and available to eligible clients.

What is the difference between a credit union and a bank?

Watch this video for more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ceBVKJcpU

What is the interest rate of the Foreign Credential Recognition Loans program?

The interest rate is the prime rate plus Meridian Credit Union’s 2%. Note, the loan is a variable interest rate loan product, meaning that as the prime rate increases or decreases, the interest on your loan increases or decreases accordingly.

Is the foreign credential recognition loans program only for individuals with a higher education/degree?

No, any immigrant who would incur costs associated with credential recognition in order to work in their occupation prior to arriving in Canada may apply. Tradespeople, skilled workers and professionals are all encouraged to connect with our program team in order to apply.

I am a former TCET client, how can I re-join?

We would be pleased to assist you!  Please contact the program/service area to submit your request.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support