Advancing Equity for Women and Girls is a project that aims to promote the economic security and prosperity of immigrant and racialized women in the Greater Toronto Area.
Our goal is to address systemic barriers to employment to support women’s equality by:
- Advancing inclusive policies and practices
- Supporting positive distribution of authority, voices and decision-making power
- Increasing networks and collaboration with key stakeholders and employers
1. Consultation with women and young women (June-September 2022)
We conducted consultations with immigrant and racialized women and young women across the GTA. We heard stories about their experiences with the Canadian labour market, barriers to employment, the impact of COVID-19 on their careers, and their recommendations to employers and service providers on how to better welcome women into the Canadian workforce.
We held 16 focus groups from mid-July to early August 2022, with a total of 117 participants. To learn about what we heard, read our report by downloading it below.
2. Consultation with employers and stakeholders (October 2022 – February 2023)
We’re currently in the consultation phase with employers and stakeholders, such as HR professionals, employment service providers, policymakers and community leaders.
Our goals for the consultation phase are:
- Raise awareness of the findings of our consultation with women and young women
- Gather information from employers on their recruitment, hiring, and retention practices, as well as barriers to recruiting and retaining immigrant and racialized women
- Gather information from stakeholders on their experiences working with immigrant and racialized women looking to join the Canadian labour market
We invite stakeholders and employers to join us for our Knowledge Exchange sessions:
- Stakeholders – sessions will take place in November and December 2022
- Employers – sessions will take place in January and February 2023
Go to the end of the page for the registration links.
3. Development of resources (March – July 2023)
We will develop a series of key resources, such as workshops, information sessions and a toolkit, for employers to address the barriers identified and facilitate the implementation of EDI best practices.
4. Intervention (August-December 2023)
We will launch a series of interventions, including information sessions, social media campaigns, workshops and a toolkit on the implementation of inclusive practices for employers.
This project has been funded through Women and Gender Equality Canada’s Women’s Program.
- Open to all immigrant and racialized women and youth located in the GTA.
Let’s work together to welcome immigrant and racialized women into the Canadian workforce. If you’re an employer, register at the link below:Register
If you’re a stakeholder (HR professionals, employment service providers, policymakers and community leaders), register at the link below:Register
Share your story by completing our survey on your experiences in the Canadian labour market and the impact COVID-19 had on your career path.Complete Survey
Upcoming Events & Workshops
- Tuesday, December 13, 2022
- 10:00 am - 02:00 pm
- 7420 Airport Road, Suite 104 Mississauga, ON L4T 4E5 Canada
- Tuesday, December 13, 2022
- 11:00 am - 12:00 pm