The month of March 2020 started with calm and familiar words. Expressions such as “career planning”, “employment preparation”, and “resumes and cover letters” were common in all my conversations with job seekers.
As the month of April starts, there are new words and expressions around us including “flattening the curve”, “community spread” and “social distancing”.
When you are unemployed in these times of uncertainty, here are 6 tips to consider:
1. Reset your expectations: there are many jobs available right now however they might not be your dream job. Grocery stores, delivery services, online Call Centres, and replacement machine operators are just a few of the areas that are hiring.
2. Update your resume and LinkedIn: even for a survival job, you will need a current resume. If you are seeking remote work, organizing your LinkedIn profile is essential.
3. Expand your knowledge with online resources: limit the news channel and instead give yourself 3 to 4 hours a day of online learning in a course or webinar.
4. Connect with your network contacts: in-person gatherings might be suspended, yet there are still online groups and people to reach out to. Remember, people, respond better when you focus on them and less on yourself. It is about being interested versus interesting.
5. Keep current with your sector: we are in an unprecedented time in history and changes in the economy are occurring. If your dream target has been hit due to COVID19, consider transferring your expertise to another sector.
6. Reach out to a Career Specialist: if you need assistance with your resume and LinkedIn profile, or want to learn more about online resources or how to reshape your job target, consider contacting ACHĒV to find out if you are eligible for free job search services. During the new frontier ahead of all of us, ACHĒV continues to support job seekers using remote communication.
Keep safe, continue physical distancing and maintain an optimistic mindset!
Achēv offers free weekly events and workshops to help you achieve your employment and career goals. Visit our Events Calendar to see all of our upcoming events.